Last week brought a bad news to all the Xperia S users. Sony Xperia S won’t get an official update beyond Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. This gives you yet another reason to go and root your phone and install clockworkmod recovery on it while you curse Sony mobiles for being harsh with your Xperia S. In this guide, we shall tell you how you can enjoy all the features (and possibly, even more) by flashing Paranoid ROM based on the latest Android version 4.2.2. Before you go jumping in excitement (and your neighbours declare you mad), make sure that you fulfil the pre requisites that are listed below.
Pre-Requisites to update Sony Xperia S to Jelly Bean 4.2.2:
- Your Xperia S must be rooted.
- You must also have flashed clockworkmod recovery on your Xperia S. Any other custom recovery will do equally fine.
- Backup your apps and their data with titanium backup (or any other app you would like to use). Flashing a rom will remove all your apps and their data but won’t touch your sd card.
- Enable USB Debugging by going to Settings > Applications > Development or to Settings > Developer Options depending on what Android version you are currently rocking on your Xperia S.
How to install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Sony Xperia S
- Download Paranoid Android 4.2 rom here and GApps package here. Downloading and installing GApps is completely optional but highly recommended as otherwise, you won’t be able to enjoy any Google sweetness on your phone.
- Move the files you downloaded in the previous step to your phone.
- Switch off your phone and press Volume Up and Power button simultaneously. Hold them till the fastboot screen appears.
- Set up adb and fastboot for your Android device. Search the Google to find the good guide to help you do so .
- Connect your phone to the PC.
- Right click in the folder in which the fastboot file is present on your pc and select Open Command Window here.
- In the command prompt window that opened on your screen, give the command fastboot devices. If any device appears, then you can proceed ahead. Otherwise, install drivers using pdanet.
- Copy the boot.img file from the Paranoid Android zip file to the fastboot folder and give the command fastboot flash boot boot.img
- When the flashing is done, give the command fastboot reboot-bootloader and disconnect your phone.
- When your phone reboots in fastboot, press Volume Up key several times to get to recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, use Volume keys to get to Wipe Data/Factory Reset option and confirm it. Then go to Advanced and select Wipe Dalvik Cache.
- Now, go to Install zip from sd card and select the Paranoid android zip file.
- Repeat the previous step for installing Gapps on your Xperia S.
- Reboot your phone when you are done.
Say Yippie and enjoy Jelly Bean 4.2.2 on your Xperia S smartphone, which just got smarter! Restore any apps or data that you backed up before flashing this rom. Comment below if you get stuck in any of the steps.