HTC One X can be updated to the latest Android version 4.2.2, thanks to the availability of various custom roms. According to sources, HTC won’t update the smartphone beyond Android 4.2, and even that update isn’t released yet. But there isn’t any reason you should care about that, as rom developers will help you keep your phone updated for quite a long time. In this post, we shall discuss the procedure to install the latest android update on your phone with the help of a custom rom. The custom rom in this case is the popular cyanogenmod rom, a name every rom freak has heard of.
Before you proceed:
- This guide will work on the international version of the phone only, using it on any other model can damage/brick it.
- Make sure that you have charged your phone so that it may last through the procedure.
- Rooting or Flashing custom files voids your manufacturer warranty.
- Neither we at TechLauncher nor any Developer will be responsible for any damage caused to your phone. Follow the guide at your very own risk.
- Backup your important data before trying out any guide posted here.
How to flash CM 10.1 to update One X to Android 4.2How to update HTC One X to Android 4.2
- Follow the steps given in this guide on your HTC One X. Doing that will root your phone and also install a custom recovery on your device.
- Download the Cyanogenmod 10.1 for HTC One X. You can also download GApps package for Android 4.2 to get Play Store and other Googley stuff, it is completely optional though.
- Transfer the file you downloaded in the previous step to your One X’s internal sd card.
- Boot into recovery mode on your HTC smartphone. To do that, you need to switch off your mobile first. Then, press Volume Down + Power button to proceed to the bootloader menu. From that menu, using Volume Down to scroll, get to Recovery option and then select it using Power button. You will boot into the recovery mode now.
- Depending on whether you chose to install Clockworkmod Recovery or
TWRP recovery in the guide linked in step 1, choose your option below:
- If on clockworkmod recovery:
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset option and then select the Wipe Dalvik Cache option by going to the Advanced option.
- Select the Install zip from sdcard option and then choose zip from sdcard. Finally select the CM file you transferred to your phone in step 3. Confirm your selection and let the flashing process complete. Select the very same option again and flash GApps this time.
- If on TWRP recovery:
- Go to Wipe menu and select Wipe data and then select Wipe Dalvik Cache.
- Select the Install option and then locate the zip file you transferred to your device in step 3. Swipe to confirm your action in the next screen and wait for the recovery to flash the new rom on your phone. Flash GApps in a similar fashion.
- If on clockworkmod recovery:
- Once the flashing process is done, a message will appear on your recovery screen confirming the same. Perform a wipe data and wipe dalvik cache action again using the steps mentioned earlier.
- Reboot your phone.
You will notice that the cyanogenmod rom now dons your One X and that HTC Sense is gone. Well, you will have to live with that. In lieu of Sense, you will get a ton of customizable options on your phone. So, it is a give and take deal. Comment below with any hiccups that you might have faced while following the procedure.