A default browser is a program that runs and opens the web pages, HTML pages and mail links from the applications like GTalk etc. Every browser can be set as a default browser which is an option provided by the browser itself. The process may differ from browser to browser depending upon the Operating system and the type of the browser.
To make Firefox as default browser :
This is a very simple process that completes in a few steps.
- Click on the Firefox button present at the top left corner of the browser, from the drop down list click on Options as shown below.
- Select the Advanced tab in the options and select the General tab in the advanced options.
- Click on the Make Firefox The Default Browser option and click OK.
- Restart the Firefox browser before applying the changes to your browser.
To make Google Chrome as default browser:
Sometimes Google chrome shows up a dialog box for setting up chrome as your default browser as shown below. Here you can set as default.
If not you can follow the below steps to set chrome as your default browser.
- Click on the drop down menu present at the top right corner of the browser where you get a list of options for customizing the browser.
- Select the Settings option from the list given for customization.
- You will find a list of options for customizing the chrome browser in settings tab. There an option called Default Browser is present; under the option you have a button called Make Google Chrome My Default Browser click on it.
- The confirmation is given by the message the Default Browser is currently Google Chrome then you can restart the browser and use it.
To make Internet Explorer as default browser:
Sometimes Internet Explorer also shows up a dialog box for setting up explorer as your default browser as shown below. Here you can set IE as default browser.
Otherwise you can go through the following steps to set IE as your default browser.
- Click on the Settings tool present at the top right corner of the browser and select the Internet Options menu from the list of options provided in settings.
- Go to Programs tab in the Internet Options menu and click on Make Default button present which will set Internet Explorer as your default browser.
- Restart the browser for the changes to get applied to the browser.
These are the steps that are involved for settings the default browser. The process may also vary for the default browser which depends upon the Operating System, Browser Version and other factors.