Samsung Galaxy S4, the phone that had everyone up on their toes, has finally hit the shelves. As expected, some serious development works have already started on the various versions of the phone. We shall be covering the international version of Samsung Galaxy S4. With this guide, you will be able to install the popular clockworkmod recovery on your phone, which, in the case of Samsung Galaxy S4, is a pre-requisite for rooting. Even if it wasn’t a must, you would have probably loved to have clockworkmod recovery on your phone, instead of the (kinda) useless stock recovery.
Flashing clockworkmod recovery, developed by Koushik Dutta, enables the user to take and restore full device backups, install unsigned zips and do a lot of other crazy things on their phone. If you are a ROM lover, and keeps playing with new ROMs everyday, then you will be lucky to have clockworkmod recovery flashed on your Samsung Galaxy S4 because the phone is going to get bucketloads of developers’ attention.
Before you Proceed:
- This guide is meant for the international version of the Galaxy S4 only. Trying it on any other S4 model can harm it. To check if you have an international version, go to Settings > About Phone.
- Backup your contacts and any other important data. Though flashing clockworkmod recovery doesn’t generally wipe any data, it is better to be safe.
- As Samsung Galaxy S4 comes with Android 4.2, the steps to get to the
developer options to enable USB Debugging is a bit different. First
off, go to Settings > About Phone. Tap the Build Number listing
present there 7 times to unveil the Developer Options. These have been
hidden for safety reasons.
- Now, enable USB Debugging on your device by going to Settings > Developer Options and ticking the checkbox next to the USB Debugging option. It is meant to let your PC communicate with your device.
- Make sure your phone is not low on battery. Anything above 50% is sensible enough to proceed with.
How to install Clockworkmod Recovery on Galaxy S4:
- Download the recovery zip file here.
- Download Odin from here.
- Install drivers for your Sasmung Galaxy S4 using this installer.
- Switch your Galaxy S4 off. A small vibration will confirm that the shut down has been completed. Now, press Volume down + Home button simultaneously till the Download Mode appears with a warning message. Press the Volume Up button to proceed to the download mode.
- Extract the Odin zip file you downloaded in step 2 above. Right click on the Odin executable file and select the Run as Administrator option. A pop up will appear confirming that you really want to run Odin with Administrative rights.
- With your phone still in Download mode, connect it to your PC.
- At the bottom left of the Odin window, an Added meesage will confirm that Odin has detected your device’s connection and that everything is fine till now.
- Extract the recovery zip file you downloaded in step 1.
- In Odin, click on PDA and locate cofface_I9500_cwm_recovery_en_new.tar file.
- Still in Odin, make sure that Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options are ticked. Don’t mess around with any other option unless you know what you are doing.
- Hit the start button in Odin to initiate the flashing process.
- The completion of this process will be confirmed by a Pass message in Odin and a reboot of your device.
The recovery mode on your device can be reached by first powering off your device and then pressing Volume Up + Home button simultaneously till you enter the recovery screen.
You can celebrate a bit now as you have finished installing Clockworkmod Recovery v126.96.36.199 on your Galaxy S4. If you wish, you can proceed with the rooting process of Samsung Galaxy S4 here.