Installing a custom recovery, like clockworkmod, allows users to install custom roms and to take full device backups which can be restored at the first sign of panic. The first point (flashing custom zips) is the most cheering one as it allows one to update their phone with the latest android version, given a custom rom is based on that, preventing you to suffer the agonizing pain to keep on waiting for the official updates. Add to the fact that Sony is relatively slower in pushing Android updates to its users, this article should bring a smile on many Xperia S users’ face. It is pretty easy to install clockworkmod recovery on Sony Xperia S, thanks to the availability of an easy to use GUI based program called RecoverX. We shall guide you how you can use that tool later in this guide. Before we get to the flashing stuff, make sure you have read the following points:
- A recovery is a special partition which is used to recover from unwanted situations, like when your phone doesn’t boot up. Every phone has a stock recovery, and your device manufacturer doesn’t want you to tamper it. So, when you flash any third party recovery, you will void your manufacturer warranty.
- Make sure you have rooted your Sony Xperia S.
- It is pretty important that you don’t start this process with a phone that is already low in battery. Charge your Xperia S before you start.
- Backup anything on your phone that you might consider important. Flashing a recovery generally don’t affect your data, but we like playing it safe and expect you to do the same.
- Enable USB Debugging by going to Settings > Applications > Development (gingerbread or below) or to Settings > Developer Options (Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean).
How to flash Clockworkmod Recovery on Sony Xperia S
- Download RecoverX from this xda thread.
- Extract the zip file on your computer.
- We expect that you have installed drivers for your device using pdanet in the rooting guide. If you haven’t do this step now.
- Connect your phone to the PC.
- In the folder you extracted in step 2, right click on the RecoverX executable file and select Run as Administrator option.
- Make the appropriate choices in the Brand and Device section.
- Choose Clockworkmod Recovery in the Recovery section. Hit the Next button.
- Your recovery file will be downloaded.
- Once the download is complete, follow the instructions that appear in the program and you will end up with a spanking new (and useful) clockworkmod recovery on your device.
We hope that you sailed through the process with ease. The only problem that could have occurred was regarding drivers. But even that shouldn’t be an issue as long as you are using the same PX/laptop that you used to root your phone (which is a pre requisite in this case). Put your Just Flashed clockworkmod recovery to some good use by updating it to Jelly Bean using an unofficial update. As always, your feedback is awaited and welcomed in the comments section down there.