If you have rooted your Sony Xperia Tipo and also installed a custom recovery image on it, it would be a shame if you don’t give the Android 4.1 based Cyanogenmod 10 a try. Cyanogenmod is the most popular 3rd party rom out there, and it is popular for some good reasons. The rom is really customizable and light weight at the same time. Some features like Theme Chooser and customizable power widgets in the notification bar are unique to this rom.
- This guide is meant only for Sony Xperia Tipo ST12i. Confirm this by going to Settings > About phone before you start out with this tutorial.
- We can’t be held responsible for anything wrong that happens with your device. Even the developer is not to blame in case you end up with a bricked device or something like that.
- If you are unsure about anything, gather some information about it with a quick google search. It can be harmful to do anything that is not within your territory.
- Your Sony Xperia Tipo needs to be rooted.
- You also need to have a third party recovery like clockworkmod recovery to flash the rom to your phone. Stock recovery can’t flash unofficial roms and zip files due to obvious reasons.
- Backup your important apps, data and contacts before flashing this rom. Installing a rom wipes /data as well as /system partition. So you will lose all your apps and messages and contacts and a lot of other data.
- Make sure USB Debugging is turned on. An option to toggle this setting can be found in Settings > Developer Options.
- Ensure that your phone is charged well.
- Download the rom file from this link.
- Once the download completes, transfer the downloaded file to your Tipo’s sd card.
- Boot into fastboot mode by pressing Volume up and power button when your phone is switched off.
- Set up fastboot for your phone. Use google to find how to do that.
- In fastboot screen, give the command fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Then give the command fastboot reboot.
- Boot into recovery mode. To do so, first switch off your phone. Then press the power button. When the Sony logo appears, press Volume down key several times till you boot into clockworkmod recovery.
- Use Volume keys to scroll through the options in the recovery.
- Go to Wipe Data/Factory reset and perform this operation.
- Then wipe Dalvik Cache by going to Advanced and selecting the appropriate option.
- Go to Install zip from sd card and select the rom file.
- Reboot your file when the recovery flashes the rom completely.
Enjoy the updated Android goodies on your Xperia Tipo. And don’t forget giving Google Now a try! The original xda thread is here.
Filed in: Android